Friday, November 25, 2011

Movie Buzz: Snow White and the Huntsman

Snow White and the Huntsman is another film that I'm really excited to see. This is the darker of the two Snow White movies coming out in 2012 (Mirror, Mirror being the other one). According to IMDb, the story is a twist on the original Brothers Grimm fairy tale - "the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen. " Acclaimed commercial director Rupert Sanders is bringing this story to life in his first feature film along with producers Joe Roth (Alice in Wonderland) and Sam Mercer. You're probably familiar with Sanders' work without even realizing it, in commercial like Axe: The Fall and DirecTV Robots
I'm a little partial to this film because I saw an early test for the film that was quite visually intriguing. Then I received the opportunity to interview for a position working on the film in the UK. The concept artwork hanging in the production office was incredible! Unfortunately, I didn't get the job but I'm still as interested as ever in seeing the finished product. The first trailer came out early this month and has only fueled the excitement. 


I'll admit that I was very skeptical about the actors as they were announced (and re-announced in the case of the Huntman). I was thinking they'd probably choose an unknown to play Snow White but they picked Kristen Stewart instead. I know the girl is getting a lot of flack for the Twilight series but I can't hate her when she's only been cast in angsty teenage roles. However, I do think this film will help better determine her actual range. I was also questioning the choice of Charlize Theron for the Queen Ravenna. As soon the first images hit the web though, man did my mind change in a hurry! She might be my favorite by far. 


In fact, there's a good chance this might turn into my 2012 Halloween costume - I just love it! There will probably be several good costumes that come out of this movie. 
The film also stars Chris Hemsworth (Thor) as Eric the Huntsman and Sam Claflin (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides) as the Prince. Playing the dwarfs are Ian McShane, Toby Jones, Bob Hoskins, Eddie Izzard, Ray Winstone and Eddie Marsan (as twins), Stephen Graham and a mysterious eighth dwarf. The Universal Pictures production is scheduled for a June 1st, 2012 theatrical release.
Additional images, mostly on set, can be found here, here and here
Also, there's a great story about Kristen Stewart punching Chris Hemsworth here

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see this! And I think it comes out near my birthday.

    ReplyDelete